What is Business IT Infrastructure? What does an infrastructure engineer do in an IT company?
Table of Contents
The Business IT infrastructure of a company includes all of the hardware, software, and network resources required to provide IT services within the company. A business IT infrastructure provider can deliver services or resources within an organization or to customers. Software application developers use business IT infrastructure to promote their specific development methodology to drive efficiency and value creation through technological adoption.
Common Examples of Business IT Infrastructure provider
There are numerous ways to deploy, organize, and implement business IT infrastructure components. You may find some or all of the following components in a typical business IT infrastructure.
Hardware: Hardware refers to the physical components an IT infrastructure provider provides to deliver IT services. Data centers, servers, network hubs, routers, and computers are all included in this category (as well as tablets, laptops, mobile devices, and other “network endpoints”). In the context of an IT infrastructure, these are all individual pieces of hardware, but each of these devices contains its own physical components that support its function (hard drives, RAM, motherboard, etc.). To support effective IT management, we need to know what machines are available and their capabilities at the IT infrastructure level.
Software: While hardware refers to the machines that include the infrastructure, software applications provide the interface and instructions that allow the hardware to perform as we expect. There are millions of applications that can be part of an IT infrastructure, but certain types of software are commonly used in the business context:
- Operating system: This software is installed on network endpoint devices and provides an accessible user interface for performing computing operations.
- CRM: Many businesses use customer relationship management (CRM) software to track customer relationships and interactions, which helps improve sales and customer service activities. Many businesses use a purpose-built, industry-specific CRM to meet their specific business requirements.
- Security analytics software: An IT infrastructure provider provides security analytics software to security analysts and IT operators to monitor the health and security status of the IT infrastructure.
Networking: Networking connects business machines, allowing important functions to perform, such as internet access, integrated security monitoring, configuration management, device access management, and other goals and services.
What does an IT infrastructure provider (engineer) do in an IT company?
Infrastructure engineers are individuals who set up and maintain computing infrastructure for different organizations. They are important in keeping a company’s operations and services running smoothly. They may work on-site, configuring and maintaining physical servers and data centers, or remotely, managing and optimizing virtual machines and cloud services. Infrastructure engineers perform the following tasks daily, regardless of where they work:
- set up and configure virtual machines and servers
- manage both on-premises and cloud storage systems
- resolve infrastructure and system problems
- maintain best practices in IT infrastructure and abide by all security regulations
- communicate with vendors and partners on behalf of the company
- recommend infrastructure upgrades to management for optimal performance
Skills required for becoming an IT infrastructure provider (engineer)
Infrastructure engineers need a wide range of technical skills to work at an IT infrastructure provider company. They must understand network and system hardware well as novel tools, software, and processes. An infrastructure engineer must have the following technical skills:
- knowledge of network and hardware technologies
- expertise in shared storage technologies
- understanding of data privacy laws
- proficiency with Active Directory
- knowledge of installing and managing cloud computing services such as IaaS, PaaS, etc.
- understanding of DevOps practices
- proficiency in continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD)
Infrastructure engineers must also have soft skills if they want to be placed at a good IT infrastructure provider company. These soft skills can help them perform tasks more efficiently, save the company money, and build a strong infrastructure that will last for a long time. Here are some examples of soft skills that can be helpful:
- project management skills
- analytical thinking skills
- problem-solving skills
- communication and presentation skills
Work environment of an IT infrastructure provider (engineer)
Infrastructure engineers may work in an office or on-site, depending on their employer and job duties. They work in an office as part of an internal IT team, handling the organization’s infrastructure needs. Infrastructure engineers who work for IT infrastructure providers may work on-site, traveling from company to company to set up and maintain their infrastructures. Infrastructure engineers who work with virtual infrastructures such as cloud computing or storage may be able to work remotely as well, depending on their duties and responsibilities.
IT infrastructure provider (engineer) job description
Here is an example of a job description for an infrastructure engineer required by an IT infrastructure provider company.
- plan, design, and enforce cloud infrastructure services using leading cloud platforms
- maintain infrastructure performance, security, and scalability for effective operations
- boost high availability of services and disaster recovery of data
- lead various cloud migration activities
- develop and implement technical solutions based on infrastructure strategy
- make sure to deliver tasks on time and according to the decided scope
- work with the operations team to solve service performance issues
The Bottom Line | IT infrastructure provider
You are not alone who doesn’t have confusion about what an IT infrastructure provider is and why you should use one.
NURTURE IT is an IT Infrastructure provider that can help you implement cloud and managed security services and improve the security of your IT network and systems. We can also help you analyze your IT architecture, improve data security, and integrate new technologies into your business. Contact the best IT infrastructure provider in Bangalore for more information.